Dark's Unreal Tutorial Series - Part 01 (BP or C++) = Space Invaders Clone - Project Setup

The First Steps in making a Space invaders clone in UE4 Using Blueprints OR C++ This video begins both Options! This series will require no ...

Monday, January 4, 2021

GB Dark's Unreal Tutorial Series - Part 02 (BP or C++) = Space Invaders Clone - Setting the Scene

 

 

The making of a Space invaders clone in UE4 Using Blueprints OR C++

This series will require no Art assets.
No previous knowledge required.

Please do comment below tell us what your thinking!

Join us on Discord!

A big thanks to all the Firebeard Family and Patrons for making me love what I do and do what I love!



 

So next we're quickly going to put together the scene that our games going to take place in the Unreal Engine.

So I'm just going to put together how I envisioned the game looking inside the scene

By using this basic block here.

 


I'll duplicate that and use it as a back wall.

I'm just going to go for a very simple setup.




You can use 'Q' 'W' and 'E' to swap between the different types of tools.

They are also accessible in the top right corner here.




More primitives in the menu on the left but I don't think we need those right now.

Just copying (ctrl + c) and pasting (ctrl + v) the bases gives us everything we need.



Next, we're going to Right Click in the Content Browser and create a new Blueprint.


 

 

This time we're going to make a Pawn.

It's going to represent our place in the world and give us access to the key inputs etc from the player.

I called mine IPlayer.


 

 

Another good use for this is to position our camera in the world.

So we're going to use Add Component in the top left corner.

We're going to add a Spring Arm.

This is going to give us a variable distance for centre to the camera.




We're going to set our length to 1200 for this because it's about right.




Then we're going to add a Camera by Adding Component again.




Compile that out and Save.




Then we're going to go back to the Game Mode.

If you haven't got it open you can go into the Content Browser and Double Click it.



We're going to change the Default Pawn and we're going to set it to the one we just created MyPlayer  or MyPawn depending on what you named it.




We hit Save and Compile.



Go back and hit Play.




You'll see that it's starting to look right. 


 

 

My back walls a little low, so I'm going to adjust and scale it to fit the scene.




Other than the fact it's square looking it should be somewhat alright now.




We'll add a new Material and I'm going to call this Black.
Just to give some spacy feel.



We apply the material to the surfaces.

Drag the material onto the blocks.




Double Click the Material Black to jump in and edit it.




We're going to Right Click on the Base Colour and hit the Promote to Parameter.

That's going to give us a colour selector on the left, but by default it's Black so we're going to leave it.



It's kinds shiny.

So we're going to Right Click on Specular and Promote to Parameter.

That will give us a Parameter that is defaulted to 0.

Just to get rid of that shininess.

Hit Save in the top left.




So we need to hit Play again.

Well, we're back to having nothing again, but we're getting there.

 

Dark's Unreal Tutorial Series - Part 03 (BP) = Space Invaders Clone - Creating the Actors 

No comments:

Post a Comment